Nursing Climate Challenge
: Free of charge
Application period: 01.08.2022 - 31.12.2023
: Terese Sjölund
Target groups : This course is aimed at nurses, nurse students and other healthcare personnel
As nurses, we want to provide the best level of care for our patients:
Working together - to not only reduce our own impact on the environment, but also to prepare the healthcare system for the future and to build resilience - will help keep our patients safe in the future and reduce current health risks.
At the end of the course the student will:
• Have awareness of how climate change impacts our health
• Be able to describe the impacts of climate change on human health
• Identify opportunities for nurses to engage in action and advocacy to move climate solutions forward
At the end of the course the students will be able to:
• Assess the seriousness and urgency of climate change
• Recognize the main effects of climate change, their implications for our present and future lives.
• Identify the causes of these changes and the key processes that determine their effects
• Identify the critical required actions, on a personal, national and global level
• Define key concepts related to climate change
• Identify the major risks associated with human-induced climate change
• Recognize the actions we need to take
The course is 100% on-line, non-stop, that you do at your own pace.
It consists of the introduction and four Modules. The themes of the modules are: 1) Climate and climate change, 2) Nutrition, 3) Global and Public health, and 4) Health and diseases.
The modules are worth 1-2 ECTS. The workload of 1 ECTS is approx. 27 hours. In order to get the certificate for 5 ECTS you need to complete all modules and pass the quizzes.
In this course there are TedTalks, a recorded webinar, scientific articles, books, blogs and two on-line web-based courses about Climate Challenge.
The course is graded as pass / fail. To pass this course the student needs to:
- Successfully complete the two on-line courses in Module 2
- Pass the three Quizzes